|He wanted to wear his hospital gown this am!|
It was bound to happen sooner or later. And, last night was the night of a scary first: Branner's first visit to the Emergency Room. In an ambulance, no less!
It all started about 7:15, when we were eating dinner. I made Barry and I shrimp with a spicy sauce, and I had a few leftover, so I decided to cook them up simply for B. He's been eating shrimp forever now! He loves popcorn shrimp! Well, apparently, it's true what they say about food allergies: they really can develop overnight.
So, even though he did not actually eat a shrimp at dinner (not a surprise), the fork that had shrimp on it did come into contact with his mouth. And, hives and swollen lips shortly ensued. I gave him some Children's Benadryl, and we hopped in the car to go to Urgent Care. As soon as we walked in the door, he vomited three times. They immediately rushed us back into a room, and started getting his vitals. He got an Epi pen and a steroid injection. The doctor said he was slightly wheezing, so he would have to travel to the hospital via ambulance just in case. It all happened so fast, and he was so calm and acting just like his normal self, that I really didn't have time to freak out. He thought riding in an ambulance was cool!
So, we spent 4 hours at the Levine Children's Hospital ER for observation. No further bumps in the road. We watched Nemo and took a wagon ride. The staff was amazing. We got home around 1:30 this morning, and everything is fine. We'll see B's pediatrician for follow-up next week, and he'll have to have the needle test at the allergist.
Luckily all is well. Major prayers were going up from us last night! CRAZY!!!!